Friday, March 30, 2012

Installing MSDE2000 sp3 - help

Hiya folks,
I'm a newbie at this, so forgive the ignorance that I may display!
I have installed a software package on my system that installs MSDE through
merge modules contained in its MSI. I have several workstations that
connect. Unfortunately, with SP2 coming down the pipe for windows xp, i
have to do lots of fancy stuff to make sure they still connect (it uses
named pipes tcp/ip). The solution according to microsoft is to install SP3
for sql...i've downloaded the MSDE version of the upgrade, and attempted to
install for several hours with no luck.
First, it said i required a strong password, which i supplised in the
setup.ini:
[options]
sapassword="mypassword"
Things started to load, and then the installer quit. Confused, I started it
again. Now the installer is giving me '
the instance name specified is invalid'
Ok, so i go back to the setup.ini and add a line
[options]
sapassword="mypassword"
instancename="liveddm"
and STILL, i get the invalid instance name error message. No matter what I
seem to try, it is telling me i have an invalid instance name; if i use
enterprise manager, i can clearly see my instance and browse the attached
database. I've also tried instancename="computername\liveddm" with no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sheldon
sheldon@.REMOVETHISthedoctorcompany.com
Sheldon Purkiss wrote:
> Hiya folks,
> I'm a newbie at this, so forgive the ignorance that I may display!
> I have installed a software package on my system that installs MSDE through
> merge modules contained in its MSI. I have several workstations that
> connect. Unfortunately, with SP2 coming down the pipe for windows xp, i
> have to do lots of fancy stuff to make sure they still connect (it uses
> named pipes tcp/ip). The solution according to microsoft is to install SP3
> for sql...i've downloaded the MSDE version of the upgrade, and attempted to
> install for several hours with no luck.
> First, it said i required a strong password, which i supplised in the
> setup.ini:
> [options]
> sapassword="mypassword"
> Things started to load, and then the installer quit. Confused, I started it
> again. Now the installer is giving me '
> the instance name specified is invalid'
> Ok, so i go back to the setup.ini and add a line
> [options]
> sapassword="mypassword"
> instancename="liveddm"
> and STILL, i get the invalid instance name error message. No matter what I
> seem to try, it is telling me i have an invalid instance name; if i use
> enterprise manager, i can clearly see my instance and browse the attached
> database. I've also tried instancename="computername\liveddm" with no luck.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Sheldon
> sheldon@.REMOVETHISthedoctorcompany.com
>
>
>
Hi Sheldon
Unfortunately, I believe that if your software vendor has installed MSDE
using merge modules from within their own MSI they will need to supply
you with the patch package themselves.
See http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment