Friday, March 30, 2012

Installing MSDE

Hello All:

I am having a problem with installing MSDE. I do not have SQL Server 2000 installed on my computer, but I am getting the error, "A strong SA password is required for security reasons. Please use SAPWD switch to supply the same..." If I am not running SQL Server, how can I get an SA password so I can complete the install. Thanks for the help in advance.

- Jesse Williamsthere's a command-line swicth in the MSDE installer program for setting the SAPWD

check the readme file that came with the installer, or run this:


setup.exe /?

I can't recall the usage off the top of my head I'm afraid.|||Take a look at this as well:http://www.asp.net/msde/default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1. More info on MSDE can be found on support.microsoft.com.|||I figured it out after I posted and did some research on this forum and read the read me. Correct, it is a command line switch. There are two ways to configure the installation: thru the setup.ini or at the command line. If you go with setup.ini add these parameters under [Options]:
instancename="nameofyourserver"
targetdir="C:\path"
datadir="C:\path"
securitymode=sql

targetdir is the folder that setup will install the executables for MSDE
datadir is the folder that will house the data
instancename is the name of your server instance

After saving the setup.ini return to the command prompt and type
setup /settings "setup.ini" sapwd="strongpwd"
This will allow you to set the sa password more securely.

You can also achieve the same at the command prompt instead of using the setup.ini:

setup instancename="nameofyourserver" targetdir="C:\path" datadir="C:\path" securitymode=sql sapwd="strongpwd"

Hope this helps for the future. Thanks for everyones help.

- Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment