Friday, March 30, 2012

Installing MSDE 2000 Rel A

Hi all,
I am unable to install MSDE on Window XP pro, SP2. Setup rolls back every
time without any indication of why. I had an earlier installation of MSDE
which I removed manually following the instructions in the Knowledge Base
article. I installed MSDE on a Windows 2000 Pro machine using the same
procedure without any problems.
The command line syntax I'm using is: setup sapwd="[mypassword]"
SECURITYMODE=SQL
Can anyone help?
Thanks.
When you manually uninstalled MSDE did you also remove the "MSSQLServer" key
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft ? That key and the "Microsoft
SQL Server" key needs to be removed. Also remove the entire directory tree
under c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server. Also, reboot the machine after
doing the manual uninstall.
Jim
"Stephen Bishop" <Stephen Bishop@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1E567705-A87F-4B8D-8DF5-202D934D5263@.microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
> I am unable to install MSDE on Window XP pro, SP2. Setup rolls back every
> time without any indication of why. I had an earlier installation of MSDE
> which I removed manually following the instructions in the Knowledge Base
> article. I installed MSDE on a Windows 2000 Pro machine using the same
> procedure without any problems.
> The command line syntax I'm using is: setup sapwd="[mypassword]"
> SECURITYMODE=SQL
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks.
|||Hi Jim,
I did delete those keys from the registry with no luck.
In a separate post, I uploaded part of the install log what appears to point
to the problem . Searching for "return value 3" I found the following:
"Starting custom action InstallPerfMon
Registering performance counters from sqlctr.ini
PerfmonLoad routine returned error code 6
Action ended 11:32:55: InstallFinalize. Return value 3."
According to a Knowledge Base article, the only solution to this involves
some advanced level tinkering with the registry, which I don't feel
comfortable undertaking. Is there any other way?
Thanks for your reply.
sb
"Jim Young" wrote:

> When you manually uninstalled MSDE did you also remove the "MSSQLServer" key
> under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft ? That key and the "Microsoft
> SQL Server" key needs to be removed. Also remove the entire directory tree
> under c:\program files\Microsoft SQL Server. Also, reboot the machine after
> doing the manual uninstall.
> Jim
> "Stephen Bishop" <Stephen Bishop@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1E567705-A87F-4B8D-8DF5-202D934D5263@.microsoft.com...
>
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment