Friday, March 30, 2012

Installing MSDE with a different instance name

Hi All,
I'm trying (and have been for ages) to install a MSDE server with adifferent instance name than the default. Im setting theinstancename when using the setup.exe file and all seems to installfine, but when I then restart my system the SQL icon appears in thesystem tray but the white circle is completely empty. It saysthat it is not connected.
If i install with the default instance name then all seems to work fine.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and what I can do to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance for any help!
The text below is from the BOL (books online). Hope this helps.
(When you install SQL Server 2000 on a computer with no existing installations of SQL Server, Setup specifies the installation of a default instance. However, you can choose to install SQL Server 2000 as a named instance instead by clearing the Default option in the Instance Name dialog box.)

No comments:

Post a Comment