Friday, March 30, 2012

installing MSDE without sa password

Hello friends,
I am a beginer installing MSDE in a W98 system. The setup file request me a
secure password "sa".
I don't know what must I do now?
How can I define a secure password in W98?
Thanks a lot.
Lorka
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:58:27 +0200, Lorka wrote:

>Hello friends,
>I am a beginer installing MSDE in a W98 system. The setup file request me a
>secure password "sa".
>I don't know what must I do now?
>How can I define a secure password in W98?
>Thanks a lot.
>Lorka
Hi Lorka,
Make up a password that's hard to guess (*). Write it down somewhere safe,
unless you have perfect recall. Never give it out to anyone.
(*) A hard to guess password uses both upper- and lowercase letters, at
least one digit and at least one special character. Of coourse, there is
no relation between the password and your username, your real name or the
names of anyone you love. Steer clear from English words as well (or if
you do include them, make sure you misspell them - as in pas5w0Rd)
Best, Hugo
(Remove _NO_ and _SPAM_ to get my e-mail address)
|||I understand the problem - Win98 has no passwords. You must install MSDE and the use the "osql.exe" utility via DOS window commands. Look this up in the MS SQL Server 2000 Books Online (Jan 2004 version is the most recent) Its free and must be installed o
n your system. Look for sp_password as the stored procedure to set the sa password under osql.
Good luck.
Mark Ferguson
"Lorka" wrote:

> Hello friends,
> I am a beginer installing MSDE in a W98 system. The setup file request me a
> secure password "sa".
> I don't know what must I do now?
> How can I define a secure password in W98?
> Thanks a lot.
> Lorka
>
>
|||PS: Although Win98 has no passwords, SQL Server uses SQL or Mixed Mode security under Win98. Look for their descriptions in the SQL Server Books Online.
For Win98, you will have to define a user name and password in SQL Server for each user, and assign them to a SQL Server Role. Thereafter, when they attempt to access SQL Server, they will have to log into it using these names and passwords. by default on
ly the "sa" username is defined and it has no default password (i think). So the reaosn for the strong password at install time is to avoid people from just nonchalantly logging in under the "sa" user name. If anyone else knows this to be wrong, please re
ply with corrections.
Seems to me that Win98 may pose another problem. I dont think it has named pipes - an alternative method to TCP/IP by which SQLServer and applications communicate - but I am not sure about this. Again, check the SQL Server Books Online.
Mark Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment