Friday, March 30, 2012

Installing MSDE 2000 Release A on a XP Home Machine

Hi,
I'd like to install MSDE 2000 Release A on a XP Home machine via the
command-prompt switches and parameters. I have two areas of ignorance:
1) At first blush, it seems to me that I'll have disparate server names. By
this I mean that when I install MSDE on my computer to conduct the
development, it will have the name "Server_Name"\"Instance_Name". My
server's called "Dell," So I'll have a MSDE instance of,
DELL\"Instance_Name" On the other hand, the target server, an XP Home
machine, is called "SherPerf." So this server instance will be named
SHERPERF\"Instance_Name"
I plan on using an Access adp front end. I don't know how to code viable
connection strings around disparate server names. I.E. in development I'm
connecting to server name #1; but, in production I'm connecting to server
name #2.
What am I missing?
2) If I want to use Windows Authentication, should I create a new user? If
so, what groups should this user be part of? Is it standard practice to
create a user account for MSDE programmatically? If so, how do I do this?
LDAP?
I realize this is a lot to ask. Thanks in advance.
--
Mark Holahan
You application should utilize a configuration file or the registry to store
the ADO connection string or the parameters for the connection string. Then
you would simply change the configuration information to point to another
server. Making a connection string for a different server is easy - just
replace one server name with another. See the Books Online for more
information about ADO or ADO.NET connection strings and how to construct
them.
Jim
"Mark Holahan" <mark.holahan@.unifiedllc.com> wrote in message
news:unoBXFtDFHA.2600@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I'd like to install MSDE 2000 Release A on a XP Home machine via the
> command-prompt switches and parameters. I have two areas of ignorance:
> 1) At first blush, it seems to me that I'll have disparate server names.
> By this I mean that when I install MSDE on my computer to conduct the
> development, it will have the name "Server_Name"\"Instance_Name". My
> server's called "Dell," So I'll have a MSDE instance of,
> DELL\"Instance_Name" On the other hand, the target server, an XP Home
> machine, is called "SherPerf." So this server instance will be named
> SHERPERF\"Instance_Name"
> I plan on using an Access adp front end. I don't know how to code viable
> connection strings around disparate server names. I.E. in development I'm
> connecting to server name #1; but, in production I'm connecting to server
> name #2.
> What am I missing?
> 2) If I want to use Windows Authentication, should I create a new user? If
> so, what groups should this user be part of? Is it standard practice to
> create a user account for MSDE programmatically? If so, how do I do this?
> LDAP?
> I realize this is a lot to ask. Thanks in advance.
> --
> --
> Mark Holahan
>
|||Thanks Jim! Yes...of course. Can you tell I haven't done this before?
Do you have any comment regarding my second question?
Many thanks.
"Jim Young" <thorium48@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23ioGNN0DFHA.3536@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You application should utilize a configuration file or the registry to
> store the ADO connection string or the parameters for the connection
> string. Then you would simply change the configuration information to
> point to another server. Making a connection string for a different server
> is easy - just replace one server name with another. See the Books Online
> for more information about ADO or ADO.NET connection strings and how to
> construct them.
> Jim
> "Mark Holahan" <mark.holahan@.unifiedllc.com> wrote in message
> news:unoBXFtDFHA.2600@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
|||Regarding question #2 - If your computers are not a member of a domain then
Windows authentication will be of less importance and all user will be local
to the machine they are running on. If you have the chance to use Windows
security then what groups the users are a member of is entirely up to you.
Ideally you would make the groups the logins to the server and the add the
user to the groups. That way you do not have to add each user individually
as a login to the server.
Jim
"Mark Holahan" <mark.holahan@.unifiedllc.com> wrote in message
news:eaXlKZ2DFHA.3824@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Jim! Yes...of course. Can you tell I haven't done this before?
> Do you have any comment regarding my second question?
> Many thanks.
>
> "Jim Young" <thorium48@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23ioGNN0DFHA.3536@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment