Friday, March 30, 2012

Installing MSDE (VB.NET)

Hi,
I need to package and deploy my MSDE database with my application. How do I
do this? It needs to deploy, install, and I need to also install tables,
users, user rights and also possibly some sample data.
I can do an unattended install, but do I have to write a seperate program or
use osql/isql to run batch file/sql scripts to update the database?
Surely there's an automated method to "click-and-install"...?

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*
<>< <>< <>< <>< ><>
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
My friend, there is no elegant way to do this.
Microsoft offers merge modules that will handle the installation for you. You can then use a CustomAction to attach a database or run SQL statementts to create a database. This isn't recommended because now YOU become responsible for creating a patch file
to patch the millions of security holes in MSDE. MSDE also uninstalls with your program under this scenario.
What I have ended up doing is programmatically shelling out to call the setup.exe program that is included with MSDE. I have created a program that looks similar to the Visual Studio .NET install where users can first click on a link to launch the SQL Ser
ver 2000 MSDE install, then install my application.
Microsoft has also created a gimpy MSDE/.NET Framework bootstrapper, but it is far from being stable. I personally think it's a piece of junk and wouldn't recommend it. *Supposedly*, if the next version of Visual Studio EVER ships, a generic bootstrapper
is supposed to be included that will allow chained .MSI installations. But until then, we're out of luck.
I recommend shelling out to the setup.exe program provided with MSDE. Good luck.
Rob Reagan
"Liddle Feesh" wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to package and deploy my MSDE database with my application. How do I
> do this? It needs to deploy, install, and I need to also install tables,
> users, user rights and also possibly some sample data.
> I can do an unattended install, but do I have to write a seperate program or
> use osql/isql to run batch file/sql scripts to update the database?
> Surely there's an automated method to "click-and-install"...?
>
> --
> Liddle Feesh
> *fap fap fap fap*
> <>< <>< <>< <>< ><>
> <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
>
>
|||Hi Rob,
I have been using the MSDE bootstrapper and have had quiet a few issues with it, like the installation just hangs many times, the MSDE instance needs to be reinstalled even if it is installed (a confirmed bug my Microsoft here), etc.. you mentioned you ar
e shelling out the exe yourself. I was just wondering what all parameters are you taking care of.. I mean In general what pointers/advise will you give to anyone who wants to do the same thing.
Thanks
dev
"Rob Reagan" wrote:

> My friend, there is no elegant way to do this.
> Microsoft offers merge modules that will handle the installation for you. You can then use a CustomAction to attach a database or run SQL statementts to create a database. This isn't recommended because now YOU become responsible for creating a patch fi
le to patch the millions of security holes in MSDE. MSDE also uninstalls with your program under this scenario.
> What I have ended up doing is programmatically shelling out to call the setup.exe program that is included with MSDE. I have created a program that looks similar to the Visual Studio .NET install where users can first click on a link to launch the SQL S
erver 2000 MSDE install, then install my application.
> Microsoft has also created a gimpy MSDE/.NET Framework bootstrapper, but it is far from being stable. I personally think it's a piece of junk and wouldn't recommend it. *Supposedly*, if the next version of Visual Studio EVER ships, a generic bootstrappe
r is supposed to be included that will allow chained .MSI installations. But until then, we're out of luck.[vbcol=seagreen]
> I recommend shelling out to the setup.exe program provided with MSDE. Good luck.
> Rob Reagan
> "Liddle Feesh" wrote:
|||Since I am using this as a remote database over the network, I'm setting DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0. I'm also setting the SAPWD, INSTANCENAME, and SECURITYMODE parameters.
Be forewarned that the MSDE installer is a great example of the half-baked software that Microsoft inflicts on the public. The uninstaller leaves garbage behind. While developing, you're going to have to do alot of removal of orphaned files and registry k
eys by hand before you can attempt a reinstall for the same named instance.
Be very careful when cleaning out your registry from orphaned MSDE keys. I zapped a few that I shouldn't have and was unable to reinstall MSDE, period. I've got to reformat my drive and reinstall Windows.
Rob
"dev_kh" wrote:

> Hi Rob,
> I have been using the MSDE bootstrapper and have had quiet a few issues with it, like the installation just hangs many times, the MSDE instance needs to be reinstalled even if it is installed (a confirmed bug my Microsoft here), etc.. you mentioned you
are shelling out the exe yourself. I was just wondering what all parameters are you taking care of.. I mean In general what pointers/advise will you give to anyone who wants to do the same thing.[vbcol=seagreen]
> Thanks
> dev
> "Rob Reagan" wrote:
file to patch the millions of security holes in MSDE. MSDE also uninstalls with your program under this scenario.[vbcol=seagreen]
Server 2000 MSDE install, then install my application.[vbcol=seagreen]
per is supposed to be included that will allow chained .MSI installations. But until then, we're out of luck.[vbcol=seagreen]
|||Oh My Goodness, I also had to manually delete the registry keys many times but no formatting so far. Thanks for your reply though. I was wondering more in lines with figuring out whether the MSDE installation went fine or not when you shell it out. Als
o do you do any logging of the MSDE installation..
Thanks again
"Rob Reagan" wrote:

> Since I am using this as a remote database over the network, I'm setting DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0. I'm also setting the SAPWD, INSTANCENAME, and SECURITYMODE parameters.
> Be forewarned that the MSDE installer is a great example of the half-baked software that Microsoft inflicts on the public. The uninstaller leaves garbage behind. While developing, you're going to have to do alot of removal of orphaned files and registry
keys by hand before you can attempt a reinstall for the same named instance.[vbcol=seagreen]
> Be very careful when cleaning out your registry from orphaned MSDE keys. I zapped a few that I shouldn't have and was unable to reinstall MSDE, period. I've got to reformat my drive and reinstall Windows.
> Rob
> "dev_kh" wrote:
u are shelling out the exe yourself. I was just wondering what all parameters are you taking care of.. I mean In general what pointers/advise will you give to anyone who wants to do the same thing.[vbcol=seagreen]
h file to patch the millions of security holes in MSDE. MSDE also uninstalls with your program under this scenario.[vbcol=seagreen]
QL Server 2000 MSDE install, then install my application.[vbcol=seagreen]
apper is supposed to be included that will allow chained .MSI installations. But until then, we're out of luck.[vbcol=seagreen]
|||I have had good luck shelling the setup.exe program. My only complaint there is that the uninstaller is so sloppy and leaves behind a bunch of keys and files. I do not log in my production program, only in my test environment. I have considered writing my
own custom uninstaller that shells to the windows uninstaller, then cleans up keys and files afterwards. The only disadvantage is that the user could bypass my customer uninstaller (accesible through the programs menu) and use the one in Add\Remove Progr
ams.
Rob
"dev_kh" wrote:

> Oh My Goodness, I also had to manually delete the registry keys many times but no formatting so far. Thanks for your reply though. I was wondering more in lines with figuring out whether the MSDE installation went fine or not when you shell it out. A
lso do you do any logging of the MSDE installation..[vbcol=seagreen]
> Thanks again
> "Rob Reagan" wrote:
ry keys by hand before you can attempt a reinstall for the same named instance.[vbcol=seagreen]
you are shelling out the exe yourself. I was just wondering what all parameters are you taking care of.. I mean In general what pointers/advise will you give to anyone who wants to do the same thing.[vbcol=seagreen]
tch file to patch the millions of security holes in MSDE. MSDE also uninstalls with your program under this scenario.[vbcol=seagreen]
SQL Server 2000 MSDE install, then install my application.[vbcol=seagreen]
trapper is supposed to be included that will allow chained .MSI installations. But until then, we're out of luck.[vbcol=seagreen]
|||Hi Rob,
Cheers for the reply (and the other guys too!) - I've heard Microsoft
released an MSDE Installer SDK in December 2003... might be worth a look
at?
It's pretty late and I've just got in - so I'll have to look at this
tomorrow!
cya later, chaps!

Liddle Feesh
*fap fap fap fap*
<>< <>< <>< <>< ><>
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

No comments:

Post a Comment