Sunday, February 19, 2012

Installation Error on MSDE

I am trying to install MSDE on a Win2K machine. The installation appears to go successfully, but when the Sql Server Service Manager tries to start, I get the error "The specified service does not exist as an installed service". Sure enough, when I go to the servcies, the MSSQL service is not in the list. I have tried to install twice with the same results. I was thinking about self registering the service, but I do not know what service is causing the problem. Anyone can think of anything?Read the sqlstp.log file - this should give you some information as to why it failed.|||Thanks, I forgot about the log file.|||Check it out and reply back.|||I did a search for the file and it was not created. Any other ideas?|||Check Services applet and see if you have a named instance-based service. I may be wrong but I think that's the default for MSDE.|||When you mentioned that the installation appeared to go successfully - what feedback did the process give you ?|||The process goes throguh the install and then prompts to reboot the computer. I do that and a message comes up registery services, that is when the error first appears. I am not using a named instance, so if I am not mistaken the instace then comes from the local computer name. THe computers name is "server" (unique, huh?).|||Do you see msde in the control panel under Add/Remove programs ?|||No, but we do have a Microsoft Sql Server folder created under Program Files.|||Does this folder exist due to the installation process or do you have sql server installed ?|||This computer does not have Sql Server installed|||Look for sqlsp/sqlstp/setup log files in your \winnt directory. Also, see if an errorlog exists under the sql server directory.|||Did not find any of these log files. Could they be in the System32 folder?|||Enable verbose logging when you install.|||Also, make sure that your server service is started before you install.

No comments:

Post a Comment