Sunday, February 19, 2012

Installation Error

I get this error while trying to install Microsoft SQL
Serve 7.0 from BackOffice Server 4.5 Developer's Edition
(that came with Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition).
"The Standard Edition server component cannot be
installed on Windows NT Workstation using this CD. Only
client components will be available for installation."
As a result, I cannot see the name of my computer listed
as a server under the server group in Enterprise
Manager. I have seen this error mentioned on one MS
Knowledgebase article, but the workaround did not apply
because I have Windows XP Professional.
Has anyone seen this? What is the solution to getting my
computer as a SQL server? Please help!Hi Jimmy.
SQL Server comes in various "editions" & each edition has constraints on
which o/s it can be installed on. The full SQL7 standard edition wouldn't
install on a workstation o/s edition (eg NT WKSTN), although I've personally
never tried installing it on wp pro. Generally, standard wanted to be
installed on a Server o/s edition (eg NT Server or higher, 2000 Server or
higher or 2003 Server or higher).
Visual Studio 6 EE had a CD entitled MSDE, which contained the "Standard /
Desktop Developer Editions" of SQL Server. You should at least be able to
install the Desktop Developer Edition from that CD on workstation o/s
editions, although - again - I've never actually tried installing SQL 7 on
XP Pro myself.
HTH
Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP
"Jimmy" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:07b601c3d968$c76950e0$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> I get this error while trying to install Microsoft SQL
> Serve 7.0 from BackOffice Server 4.5 Developer's Edition
> (that came with Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition).
> "The Standard Edition server component cannot be
> installed on Windows NT Workstation using this CD. Only
> client components will be available for installation."
> As a result, I cannot see the name of my computer listed
> as a server under the server group in Enterprise
> Manager. I have seen this error mentioned on one MS
> Knowledgebase article, but the workaround did not apply
> because I have Windows XP Professional.
> Has anyone seen this? What is the solution to getting my
> computer as a SQL server? Please help!

No comments:

Post a Comment