Friday, February 24, 2012

Installation fails on Vista RTM

Hi all!

I couldn't manage to install SQL Server 2005 Express or Standart Edition on Windows Vista. The installation fails with the error message I pasted below:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Windows NT user or group 'FUSION\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$FUSION$MSSQLSERVER' not found. Check the name again.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.2047.00&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=29521&EvtType=lib%5codbc_statement.h%40Do_sqlScript%40OdbcStatement%3a%3aexecute_batch%40CnfgSQL%4080%40x3c29

Can someone please help me on this as this is an urgent situation...

Thanks in advance

Derya

This has been posted a few times on here and this thread appears to solve the problem.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=937333&SiteID=1

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

|||

Sam,

I am installing sql server 2005 developer edition on the release vista and I am getting the same issue. One of the solutions on the other thread deals with running a command after sql server 2005 is installed:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=907970&SiteID=1

and the other says the install fails as it does in this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=937333&SiteID=1

When the data services tries to install it fails saying the user or group cannot be found. I have adjusted the UAC on vista by disabling it and have made sure that iis 7 is running. I even have the

ii6 compatiblity turned on for vs 2005. The vista installation is a clean install, but since I cannot get sql server 2005 installed on vista I cannot install the november ctp of sp2. Is the only solution to go back to win xp sp2 install sql server 2005 and its sp2 and vs 2005 and then do an update of win xp sp2 to vista, or is a new install needed for sql server 2005 (one where you don't have to unplug the network cable to get "Setting File Attrbibutes" to stop? I am seeing the same issue in many places when I do a search. Please help.

|||Just posting to say I still have this problem too. The suggestions in the thread linked by Sam Lester (which I posted) didn't work either.|||

I believe that they all link to this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=907970&SiteID=1

Is this the one you followed and it still doesn't work? If so, perhaps you can ask on that thread as well?

Thanks,
Sam

|||I looked at this thread after I had my first errors. However it shouldn't apply because when I did the install I used a local account and not a domain account. I run on a domain but most of the time I am not working on the domain so to avoid any issues I used the local account. I was thinking this had more to do with windows vista UAC. Will the install still go to the domain controller with a local account install, and could this be related to installs hanging when "setting file security"?|||That thread isn't even relevant because it doesn't have any solutions either. The casing is the same on the group name (compared to the one in Computer Management) and I even tried changing the hostname to all uppercase (tehbox --> TEHBOX). It still doesn't work with the latest CTP (December).|||

I have post this on other topic, but my hops get high when I fond this topic..but Let me start from beging

Vista RTM-->SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition-->Setup lead me to this error:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Windows NT user or group 'MASHINENAME\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$MASHINENAME$MSSQLSERVER' not found. Check the name again.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

Ok I found this thred http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=955752&SiteID=1 where user describe same problem and another link lead me here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=937333&SiteID=1 They are talking about lower case in mashine name. Last post in topic says this

Carsten N?rvig S?rensen wrote:

Thanks.

I had the exact same installation error, with many SQL server editions.

Changing the name of my pc eliminating lower-case and hyphenation solved the problem.

Carsten
MBS IT COE

Yes, in my error description was Masine name like this: MachineName, I chang it in MACHINENAME and start install again...but I have same error. After I hit "Retry" i get this message (cancel is only other option)

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup

SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]MODIFY FILE failed. Specified size is less than current size.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

That is place when Setup tray to exectute some SQL command to configure SQL Server. When I hit cancel (retry it just repeat second error message) setup rool back database engine installaton and go on with setup...it only just a shell of VS, but fail with install of Management Studio and other tools.

I am realy stuck with this and REALY out of options. I see in this theer that some people have same issue and I hope that someome is get a solutions.

Thank you for reading this

No comments:

Post a Comment