Friday, February 24, 2012

installation failure (just installing database server)

Hi Everyone,
I recently installed Visual Studio .NET 2005 Beta 2 which included SQL 2005 Community Technology Preview. After installing it all, I was no longer able to connect to my SQL 2000 instance in Enterprise Manager. The application opened ok but whenever I tried to browse the server or register it again, it was giving me an error relating to named pipes which really confused me since I was trying to connect to a SQL 2000 database through the SQL 2000 application. I was able to use the 2005 equivalent application (the name eludes me right now) to connect to the \SQLEXPRESS instance. All this time I could still connect to the default instance through Query Analyser and my .NET Web Applications that used SQL databases.
I later had to uninstall the betas because I needed a newer version of the .NET Framework to work with DotNetNuke 4.0. (A whole other story there...)
After uninstalling everything relating to the betas (which I had to do carefully in a prescribed order) I found that I couldn't even open Enterprise Manager properly. It had a big error message in the main display window. I discovered from a forum somewhere that I had to re-register a dll file to fix it. I did this and everything was back to normal.
(pause for breath)
OK, so then I downloaded Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and installed it. Everything was great until the end of the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition setup when I was told it had failed to install. I haven't looked through ALL the log files but in the summary log file, the following message is reported for all three errors:
"[Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe."
I am running Windows XP, SP2 with everything up to date in Windows Update. The Beta 2 of VS.NET was the only beta software I've installed. I'm not trying to connect to a different machine or anything either. VS and SQL are both on the same machine. The only other thing that may be relevant is that the SQL 2000 I have is an evaulation version. I don't think that affects it but you never know. It's often the most overlooked variable that trips you.
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to remedy this?
Thanks for taking the time to read about my problem :)

i had the last ctp installed cleaned up the instalation and now when i try to install i get an error message:

SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe

walt

|||Sounds like an existing instance is there, but the service is not running.|||Walt,

Can you reply with the error code you're getting. Also, go to Add/Remove Programs and remove SQL Server Native Client and rerun setup and see if that works.

Dan|||

walt wrote:

SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe

walt


That's exactly what's happening to me. I'm afraid I don't have a solution but you're the first person I've found who's got the same experience as me. I had Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 including the SQL CTP and after I uninstalled it all I downloaded Visual Web Developer which included the SQL 2005 Express. I got the same error about no process on the other end of the pipe. (My post on the subject.)
Hopefully one of us will get a reply!|||

error code 29515 i did the add remove

thanks

|||Update:

I solved the problem by backing up my data and re-installing windows. I now have Visual Web Developer and SQL 2005 Express running alongside Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Developer, MSDE and SQL 2000.

I don't know if there was a simpler solution but I had spent too much time on it already. Hurrah for my new Maxtor OneTouch II external 300GB beast that carried the burden of my data during these difficult hours!|||

Well, I can add myself to your group of installation problems with the same error mesage!!!

From my SQL Server Log:

Machine : <our machine name>
Product : SQL Server Database Services
Error : SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.
Refer to server error logs and setup logs for more information. For details on how to view setup logs, see "How to View Setup Log Files" in SQL Server Books Online.
--
Machine : <our machine name>

Product : Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Product Version : 9.00.1399.06
Install : Failed
Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0012_MITTEN52_SQL.log
Last Action : InstallFinalize
Error String : SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: {Microsoft}{SQL Native Client}Shared Memory Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.
Error Number : 29515

Here's hoping someone comes up with a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment