Friday, February 24, 2012

Installation Hangs when on a large network

Hi All,

I have to do a lot of SQL Server Express 2005 installations and I've noticed that when I'm doing an install on a machine that's on a large network that the installer will "hang" towards the end of the installation process. The installer will say something about Local Groups and sit there for a really long time. As soon as I take the machine off of the network though (via unplugging the network cable) the installer jumps back into action. Of course, I've not seen this on a stand alone machine either...

It would seem to me that the installer is trying to communicate via the network or something and then when it loses its LAN access it just moves on. But I'm not entirely sure why it would need to do that. More importantly, is there a way that I can keep it from doing this? I'm doing a silent install so maybe I can use a command line swith or property?

In reviewing the command line options I didn't see much that seemed to fit; but perhaps one of you folks know of a way to achieve this.

Thank you for anything you can offer.

SQL Server and other RDBMS are best installed from the C drive of the box you are installing it, that is copy all files to the C drive and run setup from the C drive. I have installed it as a member of 150, 000 employees network and at least 1,000 are .NET developers without issues. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment