Sunday, February 19, 2012

Installation error with MSDE

I am having a problem installing MSDE on a NT 4 SP6 workstation. The first
time I tried this it installed fine. As I was testing an installation CD
wanted to retest. I uninstalled it from Remove Programs and tried to re-
install it. At this point it complained that it could not register 3 dlls
(dtspkg, sqldmo). I rebooted the system but on the restart it complained
about various ADO DLLs. Several attempts have been made at removing MSDE
and bringing the machine up cleanly. This has been successful but not been
able to successfully re-install MSDE.
Is there a way to ensure MSDE completely uninstalled from NT? Or is there
a clean-up utility?
Can anyone help? Thanks.
hi,
sglennie wrote:
> I am having a problem installing MSDE on a NT 4 SP6 workstation. The
> first time I tried this it installed fine. As I was testing an
> installation CD wanted to retest. I uninstalled it from Remove
> Programs and tried to re- install it. At this point it complained
> that it could not register 3 dlls (dtspkg, sqldmo). I rebooted the
> system but on the restart it complained about various ADO DLLs.
> Several attempts have been made at removing MSDE and bringing the
> machine up cleanly. This has been successful but not been able to
> successfully re-install MSDE.
> Is there a way to ensure MSDE completely uninstalled from NT? Or is
> there a clean-up utility?
> Can anyone help? Thanks.
I succesfully uninstalled some MSDE instance using
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q290991 advices...
just a note... this method does not clear Windows Installer Windows registry
entries (I still have that instances listed in the Add/Remove applet :D) ...
for this clean-up you need MSIZap.exe tool from the Windows Installer SDK,
like reported in
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;320873
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.11.1 - DbaMgr ver 0.57.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment